Very cool, that was revealing. Perhaps this discussion can evolve into how journalling (e.g. ext3, etc.) works and why it is good/bad. Anybody?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello world!

Okay, I have satisfied my curiosity in this matter.

 Bill Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, who replied to me off-list quickly after my
original post, was correct in that the overhead I was seeing is due to
indirect blocks.  Credit also to Derek Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, for
providing very nice empirical evidence (and saving me the trouble of
producing it).
.

[stuff deleted]

--