[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, at 3:57pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Stuff deleted....

I notice that you've set your headers to list From as
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, obviously an invalid address. That makes a huge
amount of sense to me. Now you're not broadcasting your email address. Much better! In fact, when I first saw it, I thought, "Wow. What a good
idea. Why didn't I think of that?"

I have a free email address that redirects to my real address: [EMAIL PROTECTED] It's a valid email address but I get little spam on it. Probably because the harvesting software discards addresses with "spam" in them. Thanks to everyone who puts SPAM in the middle of thier email postings :-)

In a similar vein, I don't run sshd on port 22. I don't get any extra security by that but all the ssh scanners and script kiddies scan port 22 by default. So instead of *everyone* rattling the door handle, I only get valid users and more clever, determined scanners. Maybe I can't keep them out, but their scans are not lost in the noise of the script kiddies.

I see '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' as likely to get disregarded by some spammers, etc. I think spam@ would be dismissed even more. Sometimes a little misdirection is good even though it's not security by any means.