[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Also off-topic, but how is SoftPro doing? Since they've moved I've been there
> maybe once.

They used to have four stores:

        o Burlington, MA
        o Marlboro, MA
        o Boulder, Co
        o Denver Tech Center, Co

They now have two stores:

        o Waltham, MA
        o Denver Tech Center, Co

I think they suffer from:

        o Amazon
        o Ebay
        o Barnes and Noble
        o Borders

and the "I will browse your books but buy online" syndrome.  The store is
not as large as it used to be.  They do not have the "coffee area" that they
had, but the rent is $10,000. per month cheaper.  As the manager said,
you have to sell a lot of books to cover that $10K.

It was great, however, to have a book seller who actually knew about Linux,
and as I was walking in he was giving sage advice to a newbie.  You typically
can't get that in Barnes and Noble or Borders.

I read an article by Tim O'Reilly on SoftPRO's web site that talked about
going to a bookstore for use as a library, then buying online.....he (of course)
condemned it.   I feel much the same way.....so when I thought about Asterisk
some more, instead of buying it from Amazon I called up SoftPRO and had them
mail me the book.

If I see it online, read the review online, then I buy it online.....but
if I see it in the store (especially a specialty store like SoftPRO), then
I buy it there.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA
UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other countries.