On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 03:09:33PM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> About 10 years ago, home computers were pretty much beyond the reach of most
> public school teachers. It has only been since then that many have been
> able to afford them. Additionally, it is difficult for school systems to
> keep their equipment maintainable and reasonably up-to-date.

Further to my previous email about computer science courses:

The C++ machines we were working with were running Windows 3.1. Of
course, we never logged into that OS: all of our work was done in
Borland's Turbo C++ DOS IDE. The class did involve writing a scary
amount of graphics code using Borland libraries of some kind that I was
never able to reproduce outside that environment.

The computers were supposedly bought originally in 1988 or something
similar. The rest of the school was using Windows 98 (which later
transitioned to Windows 2000 in the library), but they didn't have the
ability (or didn't want to, with Java coming around the corner) to
transition to new machines for the C++ development. This is probably
related in part to the fact that the teacher of the course had been
doing it for more than a dozen years, and didn't want to have the thing
he knew (the machines) change, when he'd already changed languages on
them.

So, although most of the computer related classes - Desktop Publishing,
Word Processing, etc. - were taught on relatively modern machines
running a recent windows version, the Computer Science courses were
taught on the oldest computers in the school (for student use anyway).

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer