Ben Scott wrote:
 One thing I went looking for was on-line, double conversion units.
These are units which are always running on the inverter, AC->DC->AC.
In theory, this yields very effective protection.  There's no direct
connection to the main supply, so transients (spikes, surges, sags,
etc.) should have no effect on the output.  Likewise, there's no
transfer time, because there's no transfer.

Check out the Tripp Lite 'SmartOnline UPS' series of gear. I've used their stuff for years and always been happy with it. For comparable features they are not nearly as pricey as APC I've found.
Jared

begin:vcard
fn:Jared Watkins
n:Watkins;Jared
adr:;;7700 Cotswold Court;Charlotte;NC;28213;US
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Open Source Guru
tel;fax:704-455-8205
tel;home:704-644-3553