On 8/10/06, Bill McGonigle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
There was some discussion here maybe a year ago about similar things.
Try 'inverter, whole-house, room, circuit' - those kinds of things were
discussed.  Someone had some brand recommendations.

 You mean this thread?

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.gnhlug/1307

 That was mainly about surge protectors.  It never got into UPSes,
other than to say "UPSes are good to have, too".

I seem to remember someone saying the efficiency of the always-inverting
type was very poor, increasing heat and power costs noticeably.

 You definitely take an efficiency hit.  However, in this case
(extremely dirty power and extremely expensive and sensitive
equipment), I believe we don't have much choice.  We need something
that can handle frequent severe sags as well as all sorts of
distortions.  A stand-by UPS will be tripping on and off battery all
day long, and be dead within a month or two.  That's inefficient, too.
:-)

-- Ben