On 3/21/07, Bill McGonigle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
... what NexTel has ...

 Since you bring it up: Nextel uses iDEN (which is incompatible with
everything else, of course).  I think Nextel is the only carrier in
the US to use iDEN.  iDEN was designed by Motorola as a wide-area
trunked radio service, which is why Nextel's PTT works so well, and
why it sucks at everything else.

 To make matters worse, Sprint is switching Nextel over to a hybrid
system, where PTT will use iDEN, and everything else will use Sprint's
CDMA network.  So they've stopped investing in iDEN infrastructure, as
there should be a drastic drop in load in a year or two.  But in the
meantime, there are areas where the Nextel traffic is overloading
existing iDEN infrastructure, leading to service impairment.

--
"One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel / And the next it's rolling over me"
                                                 -- Rush, "Far Cry"