On Friday 06 April 2007 13:54:16 Thomas Charron wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Jarod Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >   That OTA HDTV?
> >
> > In my case, no, not at the moment, but that doesn't matter one lick. In
> > the case of the major networks, its the exact same mpeg2 program stream
> > that winds up being viewed for both cable and over the air HDTV.
>
>   I haven't hooked up an OTA tuner to our home system, so I wasn't
> actually sure if OTA broadcasts where being done at a higher
> resolution/sound quality then DirecTV's HDTV offerings.  Although
> DirecTV is starting to stream with MPEG4.

DirecTV is speshul. There's no way to get their offerings onto a myth box in
the same digital format they send them in, so discussion about their stuff is
mostly worthless to me.

> > > Many HDTV content providers gimp the quality of the
> > > audio down to 5.1 over the SPDIF
> >
> > Erm, "gimp it down to 5.1"? That *is* dolby digital, and its the form of
> > dolby digital I've seen in all HDTV recordings I've ever captured...
> >
> > > and will only provide 1080p/Dolby
> > > 7.1 over HDMI.  Just a note.
> >
> > I've never seen an HDTV show broadcast in 1080p, or with DD7.1 sound.
> > Where are you getting this data from? And I fail to see how 7.1 audio
> > would only be allowed on HDMI. There's no copy protection bits here.
> > These are just mpeg2 files. You can prod the files directly with ffmpeg,
> > mencoder, mplayer, etc. directly to see what audio streams are present.
>
>   Mostly Blu-Ray / HD-DVD content.

BluRay and HDDVD are both speshul too. They're a closer discussion to DVD than
to broadcast HDTV.

>   Although DirecTV does in some
> cases provide 1080p/Dolby 7.1 for PPV movies.  Both PPV and Blu-Ray
> content must be played over a 'secured medium', or else it downgrades
> as I stated.  For instance, the PS3 will only do 1080i and Dolby 5.1
> when utilizing a component video / SPDIF combo.

Okay, yes. Seems we're talking about two very different cases here. I was
talking solely ATSC material that something like a Linux box could actually
record in its original transmitted digital format -- broadcast and cable HDTV
programming -- not encryption-encumbered stuff.

--
Jarod Wilson