Paul Lussier wrote:
Jarod Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Especially if you're just dealing with crap-level consumer gear (Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer,
etc) and crap-level speakers (Bose, JBL, Infinity, etc), with crap-
level room acoustics.
I suppose I should add the caveat that I do have considerably better than crap-level consumer audio components.

Can someone please list for comparison what non-crap-level consumer
gear would be?

I've never understood this level of elitism present first in audiophile circles and now in video. Buy what sounds/looks good to you and fits in your budget. One can get amazing quality for relatively reasonable prices these days. That being said, musicians and other golden ears may have higher standards for audio than others. I guess they may have to spend more to get something more pleasing to their ears. I suppose it is similar for video, but HD 1920x1080 looks pretty good to me.