On 10/22/07, Tom Buskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> 2) power off the drive case
>>
>>   Just to be a wise-ass: In the above, there's a small wrinkle in your
>> "hot plug" scenario... ;-)
>
> Maybe I'm using the term wrong.  What I mean is you can plug the SATA drive
> into the system while the system is running.

  Mainly, I was just being a wise-ass.  :)  In all seriousness,
there's no industry-standard definition, so your usage is as valid as
anyone's.  But to me, "hot plug" means without having to power things
off first.

  But either way, having to turn off both drives in the mirror set in
order to swap a failed member makes the hot swap functionality a lot
less useful.  Hence the idea of two external enclosures; you power
down the one enclosure but keep the other running.

> The important thing is the data disks can be swapped in/out
> without shutting down the rest of the system.

  Nobody really cares if the OS is up if the data it's supposed to be
serving is unavailable.  :)

> Gee, you have a SCSI controller.  Just get a SCSI cable, drives and external
> chassis.

  Not a bad idea.  Cables I've got.  But I'd prefer not to impinge
upon our host's generosity by depositing that kind of hacktacular
setup if we don't have to.

> I've set this up a number of times.

  Me too.</AOL>  Heck, having a case makes it a high-budget item.
What about the ever-popular bare disk drive sitting on a table design?
 :)

> I have external SCSI cases I can make available if you want to go SCSI
> instead of SATA.

  Well, your enclosures combined with my cables and Star's disk drives
might yield a not crappy, if somewhat space-wasteful, design.  I think
I even have a pass-through bracket, so we could put the disks on
different SCSI channels and maintain hot-swap.

  But let's see what else washes ashore first.  :-)

-- Ben