Radeon 7000 is r100, that's 7-8 years old and I'm not at all surprised that
video overlays are a problem on it.  You can get a Radeon 9250 (rv280) for
around $25-$30 which is a *much* nicer card, or a 9800 (r350) for around
$40.  That's about as top as you can get with AGP, as the budget-class X
series with AGP are actually poorer quality despite being released later.

But when building a box for video (ie, MythTV) that doesn't need 3d, you
should go with VIA.  They've released GPL licensed drivers including an
accelerated Mplayer backend that puts anything from AMD or nVidia to shame.
There's a mythtv faq for getting video overlays to work with Radeons, but
that's only something to look at if you need 3d.  If you're using the free
nVidia drivers, then you obviously only need a framebuffer for video output.

IMHO, VIA EPIA (mini-ITX motherboards) based on the CLE266 or CN400 chipsets
are the best for mythtv.  They're also small, low-noise (due to low heat),
and much more reliable than recycling old hardware for the task.  The last
"media center" box I built for someone priced out to $280 including a $30
custom carved wood case from a local artisan (they intended to sell them at
the local farmers market but ended up just using the prototype themselves)

I am shocked that mythtv doesn't have better OpenGL support at this point, I
can understand having the more archaic functionality so hardware
acceleration isn't needed, but from what I just read their OpenGL support is
still poor.