On Thursday 12 June 2008 08:22, Arc Riley wrote:
> Radeon 7000 is r100, that's 7-8 years old and I'm not at all surprised that
> video overlays are a problem on it.

I think someone else already made a comment about the commonality of replacing
a video card.  I don't pay that much attention these days.

> But when building a box for video (ie, MythTV) that doesn't need 3d, you
> should go with VIA.

I tried that.  I tried it with a SiS too.  They were both awful.  Perhaps
that's because they were both integrated video, but there was no way to get
overlays with any decent speed and no obvious flickering or keeping sound in
sync, etc.  It's been a few years I guess, yet again, so perhaps the
landscape has changed.

> IMHO, VIA EPIA (mini-ITX motherboards) based on the CLE266 or CN400
> chipsets are the best for mythtv.

I agree, but I wasn't building a frontend, just installing it on my desktop.
I had integrated graphics and an ATI Radeon card lying around and couldn't
get either to work.  I got an nVidia card and it just worked.

> I am shocked that mythtv doesn't have better OpenGL support at this point,
> I can understand having the more archaic functionality so hardware
> acceleration isn't needed, but from what I just read their OpenGL support
> is still poor.

I had good luck with this using the nVidia binary drivers for what it's worth.

I don't mean to imply that I support using the binary drivers in any way.  I
find it as annoying as everyone else, but up to now, I just haven't had any
options.  I'm glad to hear ATI is better regarded and VIA is coming around
too.  Next time I'm buying video, I'll be sure to look their way.  Last time
I was shopping, the general wisdom of the internet seemed to suggest it
wasn't worth trying, so after trying it with all the hardware I had in my
old-hardware closet, I tended to agree.
-N