________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Arc Riley
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:20 AM
To: Neil Joseph Schelly
Cc: gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org
Subject: Re: Decent Graphics card / 64 bit system / imaging

        I tried that.  I tried it with a SiS too.  They were both awful.
Perhaps
        that's because they were both integrated video, but there was no
way to get
        overlays with any decent speed and no obvious flickering or
keeping sound in
        sync, etc.  It's been a few years I guess, yet again, so perhaps
the
        landscape has changed.

SiS is awful.

The landscape for VIA changed around late 2005 with their release of GPL
licensed drivers.  Note this doesn't cover /all/ VIA/S3 video cards,
though they're releasing free drivers for more chipsets all the time.

If you haven't worked with VIA in the last 2 years'ish, for a system you
don't need 3d on but need decent video, it's the way to go.  Thousands
of mini-ITX hardware hackers agree. :-)

        Last time I was shopping, the general wisdom of the internet
seemed to suggest it
        wasn't worth trying, so after trying it with all the hardware I
had in my
        old-hardware closet, I tended to agree.

outside of r200/r300, yes, the free driver support for Radeons was poor
to non-existent.  As I understand it, AMD did release specs for the
r100/r200 (and r300 drivers were easily derived from these specs) but
nowhere near as much attention was given to r100 support as r200+ since
by that point the r100's were virtually discontinued.

In the last 6 months everything has changed as far as Radeons go, before
AMD released the specs for the newer cards there wasn't much that could
be done.