On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Jesse Lazar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Is ipod the way to go for portable music player within Linux. My
> understanding is that it can be done easily, however I am curious as to what
> others use...
>
> Yes, I am shopping for a portable player and have never owned one!
>
> Also, I am strictly interested in playing music, not so much videos or
> whatever else it is they do...
>
> I run Ubuntu and the default player is rhythmbox. By default this creates
> ogg files when I import a cd into my collection. I am sure that I could
> either install another player (or maybe configure this to create mpg files).
> I would try to stick with the ogg as my understanding is that it is FOSS.
>
> I am aware that other companies manufacture these players and my
> understanding is that some can play ogg files...

The 1st thing is to figure out what you need and then find the player that
matches that.

> What are others using?
>
> Are you happy with it, what are the shortcomings?

I wanted an MP3 player that could hold all my music (40+ GB) that would sync
with Linux.
I put all my music in MP3 so I could play on anything.  I had an older MP3
player that used CF cards.

I ended up going with an iPod 80GB 5.5th generation.  There are fewer
choices when you get to 40 GB.  An iPod 80 GB had growing room and ended up
a bit cheaper then other brands.  Plus *everyone* makes iPod accessories.

I tried rhythmbox but now I use Amarok on Ubuntu.

Your Mileage Will Vary from mine, I'm sure.