Bill McGonigle writes:

> > We've got the `open database of general knowledge' (Wikipedia), the
> > open database of maps (OpenStreetMap), the open database of
> > speed-limit signs (Wikispeedia), the open database of GSM cell-sites
> > (OpenBmap)..., why not one for WiFi-hotspots?
>
> We actually talked about this a bit at the DLSLUG meeting on
> OpenStreetMap.  A WiFi node is just another type of node, with a certain
> tag.  I think somebody said wardrivers have already automated this?  It
> makes more sense to add the data to OpenStreetMap than to create another
> database.

Google has been recording location data of WiFi APs (no surpise
there), too bad the data isn't exported in a friendly way.  From what
I can tell, anywhere that has been Street View'ed has also had all
WiFi AP's recorded as the car passed by taking pictures.

This was rather obvious when using the iPhone 2G (no GPS).  It would
contact some server via HTTPS and (presumibily) send nearby WiFi AP
data in an attempt to get a more precise location.

Worked great when driving down a street that had been Street View'ed.
Whenever an AP from someone's house got in range, it would narrow down
the location rather well.  As soon as you went to a street with no
street view pictures, it would revert back to the less accurate cell
tower location.

--
Dave