On 07/10/2009 04:15 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> I've had to deal with stationary freeloaders doing high-load
> filesharing on my open WiFi network, am I going to have to deal with
> transients who've planned out their road-trips around a WiFi
> AP-hopping scheme so that they can run bittorrent on-the-go? I think
> I'm going to tell myself that that's unreasonably paranoid--I hope I'm
> right :)

A good GUI for traffic shaping controls would be a huge win.  My basic
philosophy on open AP's is that they can't make _my_ usage slow and they
can't use enough data to put my connection over the ISP's monthly cap.
I recently put a port-25 outbound block on due to some l0zer with an
infected Windows machine that hopped onto my office network (I'm now in
a mixed professional/residential neighborhood).

The rate limits aren't too hard to do for those familiar with traffic
shaper guts, but some user-land helpers would be really useful.  Anybody
seen these on low-cost AP's?

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: b...@bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/