On 07/13/2009 12:40 PM, Michael ODonnell wrote:
> I confess that I'm happy to use "free" wireless on occasion but I worry
> that if I make my own AP similarly available then somebody is going to
> use it to post kiddy-porn or make threats and it'll be traced to my IP
> address and people with guns will then make me spend a lot of time &
> money trying to convince them that I didn't do it.

There's also the inverse - if your WiFi isn't uncrackable (given?) and
the same happens, what is your likely defense?  Running open might offer
some protection against that scenario.  Granted, not technical problems.

Your concern is real though, a guy in Germany running a Tor exit node
was raided/beaten and held in jail for that kind of traffic.

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: b...@bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/