Do you have VMWare Tools installed on the guest?  I wonder if you would have
more luck with VMWare Server (also free beer). Have you tried connection to
the VM via RDP/terminal service's client?  Assuming you are running XP Pro
or newer on the VM...

You could also install VNC or try KVM if you don't mind rebuiding your VM.
The KVM support in Intrepid is really nice with a fairly easy GUI, but I
don't know about newer versions, but I've never been happy with the KVM
graphical console's response time, so I only use it long enough to get RDP
running. =)

I just did a fresh install of Karmic on my TV computer and I think it has
issues with the video card.  It won't boot to GUI and the screen keeps
flickering even at the command promot it falls back to.  Hopefully it will
be an easy fix.

It almost-boots really fast though! ;)
Alan Johnson
a...@datdec.com