I have managed to get the image to boot in Virtualbox.  Keywords to google
or look for in the VirtualBox interface if you are in a similar bind:
agp440.sys
IOAPIC
Also, make sure enough memory is allocated to both RAM and video card for
the virtual machine.

I had some bizarre side effects where the shift and control keys stopped
working in my X session.  They went away "by themselves" which worries me.

--DTVZ