On 05/10/2015 03:26 PM, David Rysdam wrote:
> Bruce Labitt <bruce.lab...@myfairpoint.net> writes:
>> Any suggestions?  apt-get -f install returns the error message. apt-get
>> remove returns the same error.  Looking for a few ideas. I'll try to use
>> some of them tonight to attempt a fix.  Got to visit Mom now...
> I'm always a "nuke it from orbit" person with these things. /home is a
> separate partition and I have (at least) two others, for alternately
> installing fresh on, back and forth. I *never* "upgrade".
>
> If /home is separate, I'd just nuke / and start over. If /home isn't
> separate, back it up, repartition and start over.

While I no longer use Ubuntu, I do install it at installfests. Usually,
I upgrade for a few releases then I do a clean install. In your case, I
agree with Bruce. An upgrade does not always clean things up entirely
regardless of the system. I would also back up your /home whether it is
a separate partition or not just to prevent a mistake. Then you can
select the whole disk to install.

--
Jerry Feldman <g...@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix