Hi,

As you know, GNHLUG has had a booth at "Hosstraders" for a long time,
and that last spring a new organization took over called "NEARFest"

http://www.near-fest.com/

This fall, NEARFest is October 12-13, 2007 at Deerfield, as it was last
time.  This fall they have more inside space, but I am told that the
inside space is going fast.  The prices this year are $50. for the space
(approximately 8' long) and $16-17. for the 8' table rental.  This is
about the same as last spring, but is up considerably from what
Hosstraders used to charge us (about $35. for 24' of space and $13. per
table), and the profits were going to the Shriner's Hospitals and Burn
Centers.

Over the years I have been the main "organizer" (and funder) of this,
with Ben Scott (and his magical CD-burning machine), Ed Lawson, Bill
Sconce, Matt and Heather and others helping out.  If I forgot anyone, I
apologize.  Besides being cold a lot of the time, I always enjoyed
talking to the ham people, and the camaraderie of the other LUG members
(along with the doggie bowls of french fries and the Italian sausages).

However, last year we were testing the "NEARFest" waters, and it was
also on Kentucky Derby weekend, so Ben and I held down the fort one day
and I was by myself the second day. We had no CD burning, and about
three or four people came by and lamented that we did not supply that
service.  I talked to one or two people about FOSS, and those were
mostly people that already knew about it.

In addition to the money, I spent two days of my time (more or less) at
the fairground and Ben showed up for a day (thanks Ben!).  I am not
complaining about this, because it was a "trial", and not very much
publicized, and it WAS Kentucky Derby Day! :-)

GNHLUG people that wanted to sell/unload stuff did that for "price of
admission" outside. Some people did "sell" outside, with what NearFest
calls "tailgating" (an additional $10. for the car and a 10'x10' space,
so $10. total).

This fall I will be in Brazil and Canada during NEARFest days (yes, I
know Brazil and Canada are very far apart, but trust me, that is where I
will be...) so I can not attend.

THEREFORE I think we might take the time to re-evaluate whether GNHLUG
attends this event or not.

Originally GNHLUG went up there to:

o Demonstrate Free Ham Software to the ham radio community
o Sell/Swap/Buy a few old hardware components

We were successful in getting some of the word out, and Ed usually put
together a display of the working Ham software.

Later this changed to:

o Demonstrate Free Software
o Distribute CDs
o Give away old hardware (since no one wanted to buy it)

The question I have is whether GNHLUG should be "supporting" this event,
or put the time and energy into some other event that would have a
greater payback?  For example, a booth/table at a state or local fair?
Or find some local "PC show" to have a table?  Or better support of
Software Freedom Day?  Help organize a summer camp for Free Software?
Or cut back to supporting NEARFest once per year, and do something else
the second part of the year?

Or, taking another tack, should we escalate our support of the event and
give short courses at NEARFest?  One issue here is that the current
management of NEARFest is not very "Linux Friendly" (I think mainly
through ignorance), whereas the HossTrader guys were friendly, but never
gave us the support necessary to put on a course.  Of course we never
really put forth a formal proposal.  Another issue is that in order to
take any "gratis" courses/events we put on, the attendees have to pay
admission to NEARFest (I think it is $10.)

One advantage to Deerfield is that I believe the facilities would better
allow a short course to be given with an LCD projector inside, if we
worked with the organizers to set something up.

If we (well, really *YOU*, since I can not be there) decide to support
NEARFest this fall, please contact AL SHUMAN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or
+16034136605  ASAP.

I am sending it to the "org" list, since most of the people on this list
are the ones that would probably organize it, but perhaps this should
also be sent to the "discuss" list.

Thanks,

maddog
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several
countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used
pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.