On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:06:55 -0400
Ted Roche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks, Ben. I was willing to help shoulder some of the load for
> NEARfest should there have been any interest (I still may go and visit
> the Flashlight Guy and see if there are bargains to be had) but I'm
> interested in hearing some ideas on what to do.

Although basically MIA for too long and too late to comment on
NEARfest, I have given some thought to it.  While there is a huge
number of what some call "appliance" operator hams, it seems two areas
are of growing interest among hams:  SDRs which are software defined
radios in which much of the signal processing takes place in software
and the radio is a simple "black box" and digital modes of operation.
these are the high tech/cutting edges of the hobby it seems to me.  In
fact there is a kit for a SDR radio that only costs around $30 so any
hobbyist can play around and develop software. There is a fair amount of
open source and some Linux specific software used in both areas. These
might be good topics for a demo or presentation. Could be combined with
demos of other ham specific applications. I would, if other hams in
GNHLUG helped, work on putting something of this nature together for
future use.  I agree the usefulness of a table where old hardware and
distributions are given away is very limited now and serves essentially
no useful purpose.

I suspect as OSS and Linux are becoming
well known and used, the traditional outreach activities of LUGs may
need to be rethought to stay relevant.  I think that is the case with
the GNHLUG booth at NEARfest.

--
Ed Lawson
Ham Callsign:         K1VP