Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Yep, RH 6.1.  I'd rather not start going down the path of de-syncing
> with the RPMs and dist *too* much.  There are some updated
> RH kernel RPMs shown by up2date; is it as simple as downloading
> them and doing the canonical 'rpm -Uvh' on them?

The following is my $.02 and should, of course, be taken with a grain of
salt.  The kernel source that Red Hat ships is fsck'd up.  Big time.  I
have NEVER had a good experience using their kernel source.  Installing
a fresh copy of the kernel source has always been my procedure,
personally.

As a newbie, I thought you might appreciate a little more step by step
instructions on how to grab the latest kernel source.

Don't worry - this shouldn't mess with much of anything as far as RPM's
go.

1) Ftp (I'm assuming you're familiar with ftp client use?) to
ftp.us.kernel.org.
2) cd to /pub/linux/kernel/v2.2  (assuming you want a stable kernel)
3) grab the latest one (currently 2.2.15)
If bandwidth is a concern, grab linux-2.2.15.tar.bz2 - it's about 3 Meg
smaller than the .tar.gz.
4) Get off the ftp server and go to your local /usr/src directory as
root
5) mkdir linux-2.2.15

6) Take a look in your current directory.  The file "linux" should be a
soft link to the previous source directory - in your case, probably
something like linux-2.2.12-20.  If this is the case, remove the link
and relink it to the new directory:

rm linux ; ln -s linux-2.2.15 linux

7) Untar the new kernel source.
If you grabbed the gz:
tar -xvzf linux-2.2.15.tar.gz
If you grabbed the bz2:
tar -xvIf linux-2.2.15.tar.gz  (Note - that's a capital "i", not a
"one")

8) cd into linux and build yourself a new kernel.  8)

Any questions, let us know.

-Cole Tuininga