On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> I did a 'modprobe -c' and noticed two interesting lines:
>
>   alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
>   alias scsi_hostadapter off
>
> The first was added to conf.modules; the second is coming from
> I don't know where.

        $ strings $( which modprobe ) | grep -i scsi
        scsi
        scsi_hostadapter off

  It appears to be coming from within modprobe itself.  A quick check of the
sources turns up this line:

        "scsi_hostadapter off", /* if not in config file */

  Look for things like control characters, hidden characters, CR/LFs, line
continuations, etc. in modules.conf -- anything that could confuse the parser
but appear right to the "naked eye".  If you've got a short modules.conf, try
recreating it from scratch.

> How can I get this loaded automagically during boot?

  A kludge that might work would be to put the line "insmod aic7xxx" in your
/etc/rc.local (/etc/rc.d/rc.local on Red Hat systems) file.

> Please tell me I don't need to rebuild my kernel ...

  "You don't need to rebuild your kernel."

  (Actually, that might be your best bet, but I didn't want to disappoint
you... ;)

> ... the one time I tackled that, I was daunted by the dozens of questions
> asked to which I had no inkling of an answer..

  Have you tried "make xconfig" (or "make menuconfig" if you think that is too
gooey)?  Both are *MUCH* easier to use then the standard "make config" system.
I also find the online help there to be generally well-written, with useful
advice on when to use what features.

  HTH,

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| "I've already explained this once, but repetition is the very soul of |