> I don't remember, as I've been using the Debian kernel-package to do
> this for a couple of years now, but I think you may also need 'make
> modules' and 'make modules_install' if you've compiled anything in as a
> module.

   I routinely use Debian's make-kpkg to make up custom kernels, but here's
a crude script which I also use which does all of the steps:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/src/linux
make dep ; sync ; make clean ; sync
make bzdisk ; sync
# You might want to zap the above if you don't want a floppy boot disk made.
make bzImage ; sync
make modules ; sync ; make modules_install ; sync
mv /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13 /boot/vmlinuz.old ; sync
# The vmlinuz.old stuff is just a backup kernel.
mv /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15 ; sync
mv /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.2.15 ; sync
cp /boot/System.map-2.2.15 /boot/System.map ; sync
cd /
rm /vmlinuzold
ln -s boot/vmlinuz.old vmlinuzold ; sync
rm /vmlinuz
ln -s boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15 vmlinuz ; sync
cd /usr/src/linux
cd /
liloconfig ; sync
# liloconfig is probably Debian-specific; you'd want to run LILO here.
cd /usr/src/linux

--
 Regards, | What's "free" software? - Free speech? Free beer?