In a message dated: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:08:27 EDT
Brice Gibson said:

>here's a dumb question...
>
>some files got deleted, can I undelete them and how?

In Short:
        Nope.  They're gone.  Hope you have good backups :)

(if you're satisfied with this answer, feel free to skip to the next e-mail in
your in box, otherwise, read on :)

In Long:

You might ask, why doesn't Linux have a "trash can" feature like Windows?
Well, it could, it would be a simple shell script wrapper around 'rm'.

But consider that Unix in general was written by intelligent people for
intelligent people.  The designers intended for people to think carefully
about what they were doing before they did it.  This is evident in just about
everey facet of the system, fron the concept of named pipes to piping command
output to other commands and shell redirection to accomplish more than a
single monolithic application is capable of.

In short, they believed in my philosophy of "Stupidity should be painful".
(of course they didn't call it that back then :)  This may be blunt, but if
more people thought this way, there's be much less of what I call
"The Ooops Factor", and this would be a good thing :)
--
Seeya,
Paul