On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Tom Rauschenbach wrote:
> How come this thing knows what time it is Greenwich (or UTC) but can't set
> the local time ?

  The system keeps track of time internally as UTC.  Programs like "date" use
standard library routines to convert system time to local time.  The standard
library uses magic to determine the time zone.  That magic includes looking at
the environment for a "TZ" variable, reading a file /etc/localtime, and
probably some other things I'm not aware of, such as casting the bones.

> Can someone tell me where the file is that says what time zone I'm in ?

  System the system clock from the hardware clock is distribution-specific.
It generally happens somewhere in /etc/rc.sysinit or equivalent.  Most distros
provide a front-end program to configure the magic for you.  On Red Hat
systems, it is "/usr/sbin/timeconfig".

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Net Technologies, Inc. <http://www.ntisys.com>