Well, if you don't, then it will use the default xinitrc in
/etc/X11/xinit.  What does that show?  Also, with Red Hat, (on RH 6.1 at least)
check for the contents of /etc/sysconfig/desktop, and decide which
default DE to use:  if /etc/sysconfig/desktop says GNOME, it starts
GNOME by default, KDE for KDE, AnotherLevel for AnotherLevel.  I've
forgotten where in the configuration setup you set it, but you can
just edit the file, create a one-line file /etc/sysconfig/desktop,
with the line GNOME.

jeff

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Mansur, Warren wrote:

> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:49:40 -0400
> From: "Mansur, Warren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Matt Herbert' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
     Greater NH Linux Users' Group <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: X init problem
>
> Hi,
>
> I looked into my home directory and
> I don't have a file by that name.
> Should I have one?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Warren

Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   phone:603.930.9379   fax:978.446.9470