Basically, the xinitrc file in /etc/X11/xinit, all it does is set up the
keyboard using either xmodmap or xkb, and then set a default browser.  I'm
not sure how that could cause a problem. I'll try putting echoes on each
line to see where it might break. I put the GNOME line in the default
xinitrc file, and that somehow still didn't cause gnome to boot.  Very
interesting . . .

Thanks guys for all your help.  This was a real life-saver.  No one else in
my department uses Linux.  When I have a problem, no one around can help and
I'm still expected to produce code as fast as the next guy.  Now I can get
back to coding . . . ugh.

Warren