On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Rich Payne wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Greg Kettmann wrote:
>
> > First, just a gripe (to vent).  Man MediaOne/AT&T Broadband is bad.
> > Their DNS server always slow
>
> So setup your machine to do DNS, it's fairly easy. That way no matter what
> silly things they do (with DNS), it won't effect you.

I have never used MediaONe's DNS since I've had their service.  Aside from
using your own DNS server (which I do) you could also point your system
at someone else's DNS server.  It isn't really considered polite if you do
it without permission, but they aren't likely to notice and probably won't
do anything about it if they do notice.

> >and their mail servers are often down.
>
> Again, setup your own. If you get your IP through DHCP, just setup
> yourself up with one of the dynamic DNS providers. It's pretty cheap.

Rich, can you provide some links?

> > Question 2 - This is more a request for information.  I've several high
> > level customers who need statistics on Linux.  We (us here and the Linux
> > community in general) have done a good job of making Linux a viable
> > alternative.  We've got their attention.  But now I need the next
> > level.  All that upper level managment junk like ROI (Return on
> > Investment), TCO (Total Cost of Ownership), MTBF (Mean Time Between
> > Failure), etc.  I've read every article on the subject but am having
> > trouble finding hard numbers, particularly on MTBF or reliability.  My
> > favorite source of good articles is OSOPINION.  Does anyone have any
> > suggestions on where I might get more information?

Linux is FREE... therefore the ROI is infinite.

Total cost is the same for Windows NT (or whatever) MINUS the cost of all
software license fees.  The cost of hardware is identical (or perhaps
less, since Linux runs better on lower-end hardware), and the cost of
training a Linux person (Unix classes) is roughly the same as a Windows
person.  So the only difference is in the cost of software.  Expensive for
Windows, FREE for Linux.  You can also purchase support contracts but
again, the difference is negligible between the two.  So you save a bundle
on License fees.

MTBF is generally used to measure hardware faliures, so there again the
MTBF is whatever your hardware's MTBF is and is not related to Linux
whatever.

Well, it's true that the OS can crash, but in general except under very
heavy load, or when using uncommon, experimental features, Linux doesn't
crash.  It also does not need to be rebooted to make the vast majority of
configuration changes. So if you use that as your MTBF, it's much, much
higher than for Windows.

--
Derek Martin
System Administrator