<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> The one box I've been playing with RH7 on was effected
>>> within 12 hours.  I had not applied any updates,
>>> this was a clean install from the shipped CD.
>>> I'm told that the problem has been addressed by some of the updates,
>>> and that the newer CDs contain the appropriate updates,
>>> but I can't verify that as I don't have one of the newer CDs.

Historically, Red Hat has been extremely sloppy IMNSHO, about
indicating what CDs and/or .iso's have exactly what bits on them.
That is, they do "silent upgrades" on their shipping products so
that two customers buying a given release (e.g., 7.0) at the store
will have two different images on their base CDs. Only a detailed
examination of the inventory (or a SWAG at the dates of the files)
can tell you how vulnerable you are. If they would document it
somehow, it would be acceptable.

Just my 20 millidollars' worth,

Bayard

Bayard R. Coolidge      N1HO    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are
Compaq Computer Corp.           solely those of the author, and not
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA      those of Compaq Computer Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (DEC '77-'98)              or any other entity.
"Brake for Moose - It could save your life" - N.H. Fish & Game Dept.