In a message dated: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:59:09 EST
Jeffry Smith said:

>Out-right lying?  I haven't seen that.  Evasive answers, FUD, diversion, etc,
>but out-right lying?  That's actually against the law in advertising.

Okay, maybe mis-leading is a better term.  But IMO, which is obviously
different from the law, leading someone to believe that something is true when
it is plainly false is equivalent to lying to them.

To say that a server has been running for days without anyone checking on it
leads one to believe that W2K is stable.  It is not.  IMO that is lying.

Granted, legally they can claim "We never said you *shouldn't* check on your
servers" or "It's *possible* that a server could run for days" and still be
correct.  However, reality dictates that a Windows system of any type will not
run for days if there is anything running on it at all.  Yes, I'm sure you
could "just boot a system and leave it" and it will run for days, maybe even
months that way.  But it won't if there's any utilization of any kind
on that system.

To me, that's lying.  They're telling me that if I buy they're product, I can
just set it up and forget about it.  That is completely false; i.e. lying.

But you're right, I'd probably have a tough time proving that in a court room.
--

Seeya,
Paul