Steven W. Orr writes:
 > Good shot except that the fan gets a *lower* pitch when I turn seti *off*.
 > Seti is not the problem of course. I did try a simple C program as well:
 > main(){while(1);}
 > and the same thing happens.

Yes, thats what I thought that I said would happen.  Let me expand.
When you run seti or the script, then there is always something to do,
so linux does not ever halt the cpu, so the power consumption is
higher and the fan runs faster.  When you turn seti (and any other
compute bound jobs) *off* the cpu spends a significant fraction of its
time halted, so power consumption is reduced, so heat generated is
reduced, and the fan can run at a *lower* speed ("pitch").

                                                        Bill