From: "Steven W. Orr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Bill Freeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2001 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: Help! I think space aliens are trying to mess with my fan!
> Good shot except that the fan gets a *lower* pitch when I turn seti *off*.
> Seti is not the problem of course. I did try a simple C program as well:
> main(){while(1);}
> and the same thing happens.
> I guess I'm still open to an explanation. :-)

    Well, here would be a good test.  Use the above example, but try this:

main(){
    int i = 0;
    while(1)
    {
        while(1)
        {
            if(i >= 10000) i++;
            else break;
         }
         i = 0;
         sleep(5000);
    }
}

    If other posts hold true, that the fan motor if powering according to
CPU usage, then it will now turn on and off according to which section of
the processor is running.  Its very possible, but most fans I've seen are
powered directly off of the power supply, and not on the same power as the
processor itself..