Karl J. Runge said:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Jeffry Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > One thing I like to point out to people - in 1997, the Linux Community
> > (mailing lists, newsgroups, etc, not us paid support companies (shameless plug
> > ;-) won Inforworld's Support of the Year.  This unpaid, volunteer community
> > was determined to provide better support than any software company (not just
> > the obvious MS, but ANY company).
>
> Maybe Infoworld just did that then to be `cool'...

Actually, Infoworld at the time was very hostile to Linux & Open Source (and
anything non-MS).  I was extremely surprised to see it, since the year before
they gave their product of the year to NT 4.0.  To understand - the voting
went to OS/2 4.0 (I think 4.0, not certain of the correct version).  The
management of IW stated that this was impossible, unilaterally overrode the
voters, and declared NT 4.0 Product of the Year, because "no one uses OS/2."

They also gave Red Hat the OS of the Year in 1997 & 1998.

Recently, they seem to have lightened up on Linux & OS.  Maybe because IBM
(one of their major advertisers, MS being another one) is supporting it.
However, they still seem to take a lot of the "linuxgram" method - damning
with faint praise, reporting every problem, etc.

> Have we won it (or similar award from other magazines) in subsequent years?
> I hate to think we've slipped! (I don't think we have, although the linux
> world is certainly quite a bit different now compared to 1997..)

I personally think they should have won it every year since then, but suspect
they don't like it because the linux community doesn't buy ads ;-)

jeff

Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   phone:603.930.9739 fax:978.446.9470
Thought for today:  ECP /E-C-P/ n.

 See spam and velveeta.