Mark Komarinski said:
> Absolutely NOT!
>
> The GPL says two things in big important letters:
>
> 1)  You can sell a product for what the market will bear
> 2)  You have to provide the source code to your product
>
> Point #1 is where a lot of companies (RedHat, Corel, SuSe, etc)
> make their money.  Almost all the software on their CD is
> GPL'd, and yet they sell the CD.  This is allowed as part of the
> GPL.

Also, Apache is not under the GPL (which, as you point out, is
anti-proprietary, not anti-commercial).  The Apache license is a modified BSD,
and does allow proprietary extensions.

> Now, in answer to the original question of commercial Apache,
> are you looking for commercial support, pre-packaged Apache, what?
> There's a company in Bedford ( NuSphere ) that was with VA at SoftPro.
> NuSphere sells Apache, PHP, and MySQL on a CD with some other (GPL'd)
> goodies thrown in, plus support.  If your boss is just looking for
> a shrink-wrapped box, this may be what you want.  It's about $80.
>
> -Mark

And there are other companies around that will do (for the right price),
apache support (hint, hint)

> Kurth Bemis wrote:
> >
> > At 01:44 PM 2/16/2001, Vince McHugh wrote:
> >
> > commercial goes against the GPL and apache licences i believe.  besides -
> > why would you want anything commercial?
> >
> > ~kurth
> >

> > >       My MIS director was asking me if there is a
> > >"commercial version" of Apache Web Server. Since I do
> > >not know the answer to that I told him I would pose
> > >the question to this illustrious group.

jeff

Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   phone:603.930.9739 fax:978.446.9470
Thought for today:  core leak n.

 Syn. memory leak.