Actually, most of the system admin stuff you need is in /etc/rc.config (as
is Compaq's Tru64). You can easily edit that directly or through YaST.
YaST keeps a shadow copy. Most everything is in a reasonably standard
place. The init scripts are all in /sbin/init.d (or /etc/rc.d/init.d). You can
tell SuSE not to use its config files at all. Where Red Hat has what I feel
is a very convoluted way to set up networking, the SuSE network
information is in /etc/rc.config (as is Tru64). Another advantage is that
YaST1 is text based so that it is easy to run from a telnet (or ssh)
window. In some cases, Red Hat's linuxconf is preferable.

WRT: Debian. Once you get used to deselect, Debian installs very
nicely. I found that its dependency checking was what was taking the
longest time, and that was because it was repeating some steps on
each package. That was supposed to have been fixed, but I switched to
SuSE and have been pleased with it. The one thing that Debian had
which imporves on most other distribitions was their thoroughness, at
least in the stable versions. You could pretty much count on kernel
builds to work. I might burn a copy of debian for the next BLU installfest if
I have the time, and try it on a user.

On 20 Feb 2001, at 11:04, Tony Lambiris wrote:

> That sounds really useful... the last time I tried SuSE was version 5.2, and it
> wasn't anything special. While YAST sounds like a nice utility, I personally cant
> rely on admin tools like that. If something breaks in its config file (or
> whatever it uses), it could probably hose your system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org