Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Somethimes, the choice of distros gets into a religious war. A couple of
> reasons I personally favor SuSE is that I can do virtually all my system

[snip]

> checked off. For each RPM, you will be prompted to backup the currently
> installed version when the installation begins.

That sounds really useful... the last time I tried SuSE was version 5.2, and it
wasn't anything special. While YAST sounds like a nice utility, I personally cant
rely on admin tools like that. If something breaks in its config file (or
whatever it uses), it could probably hose your system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

> The third reason I prefer SuSE is that it is the closest Linux distro to
> Compaq's Tru64 Unix.

I'll have to start looking for Alpha's on ebay  :)

> However, when asked about distros by new users, I sometimes
> recommend Mandrake because it appears to be the most straightforward
> to install.

When people ask me (especially newbies) what Distrobution they should use,
I usually tell them to try out a few and use what works for them. While Red Hat
does come with tools to help out the average user, Ive seen these tools used way
too often as a crutch. I can't explain how many kids that go to Keene think they
are Linux Gods, but when you ask them to do something like remove a kernel module
from memory, theyre like "huh?". Granted thats not Red Hats fault at all, but it
just makes more sense that if you start off using a system like Slackware, you
HAVE to learn everything about the system and Linux, because theres nothing to
hold your hand. I guess it's a trade off. I learned Linux from an old Slackware
Unleased book and I spent hours at a time reading and toyng around, and I'm glad
I learned that way.

> I used to have Debian on my system, but I found that, while its package
> manager is very thorough, the installation time for Debian in contrast to
> the other distributions were significantly longer. I also found that Debian

Jeez, how are you people installing your Debian system?? Remember... install ONLY
the base system, then apt-get ONLY what you need (and be sure to run dselect to
resolve some depends every so often).

> somewhat lagged behind the other distros during the 2.2.x kernel times.
> But I also prefer the Red Hat, SuSE and other distros' use of inittab to
> control whether X should be loaded at startup.

Even Debian admitted that they were really falling behind in the software aspect,
which is why they have a new head person leading Debian (they have for a while
now), but I have been running the unstable branch for a while now, and nothing
has crashed on me, and my system is more up-to-date than any Red Hat or SuSE
system, so BEAT THAT!!    ;)