Jeffry Smith wrote:

[snip]

> >   Some people in the Debian community (I don't necessarily mean anyone here)
> > seem to identify with that joke a bit more than is healthy.  There was an

... [snip] ...

> and, as you said, if you make it too hard, they will go for the easy, but not
> as useful (or even brain-damaged).

Very well said.

> >   Even if everyone did want to know, *not everyone can learn that way*.
> > Different people have different learning styles.  Declaring by fiat that we
> > should throw everyone in and hope they float is not a good policy.
>
> And what's wrong with Fiat's?  Some people like driving them!
>
> On a serious side, this is why I like choice.  Everyone is different, and
> learns and does things in different ways.  Trying to do "one-size-fits-all"
> results in MS software.

Isnt that the main reason people use Linux in the first place (or any other free
*NIX system). No offense to people on the list, but if I _had_ to run Red Hat + KDE,
I would rather not use the system at all. I personally work more efficiantly in a
blackbox environment running Debian (and trust me, Ive tried out almost every
distribution and windowmanager).

> >   End of rant.  (Again, I'm not targeting this at anyone here; I'm commenting
> > on a phenomenon I've observed elsewhere.)
> >
> > > Jeez, how are you people installing your Debian system?? Remember...
> > > install ONLY the base system, then apt-get ONLY what you need ...
> >
> >   I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Disk space is cheaper than time.
> > :-)  In other words, it is often easier to install everything all at once, so
> > it will be available, than install things one at a time as people discover
> > they need them.
>
> Speaking of different ways of doing things!  If I'm not using it, it doesn't
> belong on the disk!  The safest code is the code that's not there!

Amen, which is precisely why I do what I do.... It always used to annoy me at
DCG Computers when they would install _everything_ from the Red Hat CD, and
I mentioned perhaps we should install the basic system, with X windows and GNOME,
and live a /etc/motd and another file that tells the end-user how to find out which
packaged to install, and how to install other packages, and their response was
pretty much "well they are the ones buying this system, if they dont know how to use
it, thats their problem).

> > > (and be sure to run dselect to resolve some depends every so often).
> >
> >   What happened to APT handling all that for you?  ;-)
> >

> My question too.  Guess Tony's one of those who does things different than me.
>  Oh well.

I run Dselect because it seems to catch more depends... apt-get will download only
the dependancies REQUIRED to get the program you are installing to work... running
dselect fixes anyother depends, and believe me, your system is less likely to get
pissed off when all the depends are happy.