In a message dated: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:00:11 EST
Cole Tuininga said:

>Paul Lussier wrote:
>
>> use autoconf/automake to detect that gpg is(n't) installed and do
>> the appropriate thing.
>
>Which segues very nicely (thanks Paul *grin*) to the other question I
>had.
>
>What's a good resource for learning about the auto tools?  I tried once
>about a year ago from the gnu site and found it to be fairly confusing.
>I haven't seen an O'Reilly about the topic - any other thoughts?

Well, there is an autoconf/automake book put out by New Riders Press.  It's
actually an Open Source book, which I believe you can access somehow from
the Gnu site, oh never mind, here's the url :)

        http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

I actually went out and purchased this book.  It's not all that much better
than the info docs on autoconf/automake.  I found the writing quite confusing,
and not clearly written in many cases.  The other problem I found is that they
assume that the project you want to place under autoconf/automake is some
large C/C++ based project.  I'm actually trying to use it with a bunch of perl
scripts and the like.  They don't address this at all in the book.

They also seem to assume that you already understand autoconf/automake, and
are just looking for something that is more of an enhanced reference book.

Overall, I don't think this book is overly usefull someone just starting out
with autoconf/automake.  If you read through it enough times, and look at
other autoconf/automake examples, you'll eventually get it, but it requires a
significant amount of patience and determination.

Hope that helps.
--

Seeya,
Paul