Hi folks - I have a couple of encryption related questions for the
programmers in the group.

I'm in the process of coding an application that I need to have store
data files.  Now, some of these data files will need to be encrypted (at
the option of the user).  The basic implementation concept I planned to
use was to take a static value, say "00000000" and encrypt it using the
password as the salt.  Before I put much thought into it, I planned on
using just the good 'ole crypt(3).  But then I got to thinking about how
easy that was to brute force, and unless I'm mistaken, it is not
portable between flavors of Un*x?

In any case, I was wondering if anybody would care to recommend any (C
based) GPL'd encryption packages for this use?  Any you would recommend
against?

Oh yeah.  Linux rules.

--
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Cole Tuininga
Network Admin
Code Energy, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]