        <snip>

>   My goal was not *just* to be an arrogant ego-maniac.  I honestly felt
> that
> part of the reason you were butting your head against the wall was a
> desire to
> use a tool incorrectly.  I would have the same response to someone who
> suggested using MS-Windows to run their mission-critical website.  ;-)

        Haven't you seen the commercials...they can now be "up for DAYS"
without needing attention.  :-)

        BTW, I agree fully with the posts concerning browser independence in
web sites.  My personal opinion is that someone should be able to use the
latest version of Netscape or a text-only browser and still be able to
navigate and use the site.  I should be able to visit a site with my
resolution set on 640x480 or 1600x1200, with Java enabled or crippled, and
with graphics on or off and not have the FUNCTIONALITY of the site limited.
If the web designer chooses to use the latest bells and whistles then they
should at least do so in a way that downgrades gracefully.

        Now, I'll happily admit that some sites NEED those bells and
whistles...they are actually designed around graphics presentation, etc.  In
a case where the purpose of the site, or at least a major focus of it, is to
present interactive content using the latest plug-in available then they
should have a "safe" home page which informs the user of this and even
checks their browser to let them know if they'll be able to use the
following pages.  But if I go to look at "Johns Sporting Goods" site using
NS 4.x and it's filled with animated images and text flying across the
screen while the background changes colors to reflect the seasons, but my
friend using IE gets something different because the designer choose to use
NS specific objects without providing alternatives, then there is a major
problem.  To quote one of the many colorful slogans for browser
independence... "If your website cares what browser I'm using, the SITE is
broken."  As a quick little side rant, from my experiences with them, no
WYSIWYG editor makes truly independent, clean HTML.  Code your sites
manually in vi at two a.m. with the lights turned off and the coffee flowing
freely.   :-)  <the previous rant was brought to you by someone who's work
place forces the draconian rule of using M$ FrontPage extensions>

        Oh....Linux rules!