On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> [root@syslang SPECS]# rpm -ba XFree86.spec
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

  Try

        rpm --rebuilddb

Then make sure your rpm package itself is current with the updates for
whatever distro+release you are running, and then do it again.

> I'm running rpm-4.0.2-8 which is stock with RH-7.1 ...

  Red Hat 7.x seems to have serious, system-wide brain damage.  Personally,
I think they tried too many new things at once, and turned the whole thing
into a steaming mess.  Just today, I ran into some %^$#!@ problem with that
new LPRng print subsystem on one of our in-house workstations.  The queues
would randomly start losing jobs.  I didn't have time to learn a whole new
printing subsystem, so I just ripped out the 7.1 RPMs and dropped in the 6.2
RPMs.  Worked fine on the first try.

> and I'm wondering if I can upgrade rpm to the rpm-4.0.3-0.96 (96!?! This
> is not instilling confidence.) without irreversible tragedy.

  The -96 might be a Good Thing.  At least you know there are testing the
thing.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>