UPDATE:

The system is installed, using the ATA-100 connectors and a RAID array. The
system installed the md drivers, so I think I'm all set in the RAID
department. I picked RAID-1 during the Debian install script.

The hanging problem I believe was due to a BIOS issue; I updated the MB's
BIOS from 3.3 to 3.5. One of the updates included an update to the Promise
RAID Controller chip's BIOS. It hasn't hung since.

The only problem I have right now is I can't seem to get the drive(s) to
boot, I can see them and boot the system from a floppy, but I can't get the
drives to boot directly. I have run LILO, and I have installed a quickie DOS
system and I can boot to that, so I know my BIOS settings are correct.

I think I just have to play around with install-mbr and see if I can get
anywhere with that.

P.S. Nowhere in Debian's install script is there any place to pick an SMP
kernel. So I'm currently running on one processor (and it's still damn fast!
:oD )

Rich Cloutier
President, C*O
SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES