In a message dated: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:45:48 EDT
"Rich C" said:

>First problem: the installation kernel wouldn't see my disk drives.

Look on the main disk for an images directory called udma66:

        $DEBIAN_ROOT/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/udma66

Create floppies for rescue.bin and root.bin.  This should work.

>Second Problem: The partitioning program, cfdisk, kept hanging while trying
>to initialize my 40 meg /usr partition (/dev/hde8) Tried making it smaller,
>that didn't work. Tried making another partiton after it; that DID work, but
>then I couldn't initialize the [new] last partition.

Sorry, no ideas here.

>Third problem: During install, the machine randomly hangs. It randomly hung
>during the partitioning process earlier too, but I figured that was due to
>cfdisk screwing up.

Again, no ideas.

>Installing without the RAID array;

Might help, unless you were trying to install with /  and /boot on
the array.

>Installing with a disk on the standard IDE port;

I've found this is always a sure thing with Debian.  I had so many
problems last week installing onto an all SCSI system I just gave up
and went with RH.

>a) the SMP kernel supplied in 2.2r3 potato (sorry I don't know what version
>it is) has problems;

Don't know.  I don't think I'm running Debian on any SMP machines.

>b) my hardware might have problems;

Could be, though my bet is on Debian, not the hardware.

>c) my hardware is not supported;

Always a possibility, especially if it's newer than the release of
Debian you're trying to install.

>d) Debian's install program has known issues with "newer" hardware (why
>isn't a UDMA-capable kernel part of the "vanilla" package?)

Because, in general, Debian's install process is just plain lousy.
It's a great distro other than the installation process, but if you
can't even get past that, then why bother.

>Any thoughts, warnings, tips, or comments would be greatly appreciated. :o)

I'd definitely try installing only an IDE based system then adding the
RAID later.  SMP *shouldn't* be a problem, since a UP kernel should
work.  You can always recompile later.

Hope that helps.