On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Mansur, Warren wrote:

> Of course, if you allow any port through, anyone can use ssh, connect to
> their home computer, and do whatever they want.  I suppose if they use
> packet filtering so that they make sure only a subset of packets go
> through, that would screw ssh up.

One thing that I've recently learned of, and used (WARNING: probable IT
policy violation), is VPN via SSH.  Honest-to-goodness VPN, that is, no
pansy port-redirection.  Specifically (as per the VPN HOWTO), you can SSH
in to your remote host over a virtual (PPP) interface, which uses a helper
program to re-direct the SSH stuff over PPP.  Took me about two hours to
get it working, and now it works pretty darn well.  Note that, as with all
VPN solutions, there are also routing issues with which to contend.  I
think of it as the poor man's VPN That Just Works.

Check out
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/VPN-HOWTO.html
for more info.

-Ken