In a message dated: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:38:42 PST
Ken Ambrose said:

>Tsk, tsk, Paul: I expect you to know all three ways (that I can think
>of, at least) to override that:
>
>\rm *
>and
>rm -f *
>and
>yes | rm *

I forgot about that last one :)  Of course, I doubt I'd ever have
occasion to use it, since I'm lazy and -f does the same thing ;)

>I do find that they are hugely helpful for misc. things
>that one uses all the time -- and, if you're using the *same* command all
>the time, what good is typing it really going to do you in terms of
>learning it?

Good point.  However, I was more thinking in terms of those who
decide to alias certain commands like ls = 'ls -F'.  This type of
alias, IMO, is the most dangerous, since you're now masking a real
command.  Better to create a completely new command, 'lF' instead.
This allows you to remember that 'ls' is the command, and it's output
is nothing more than a list of file names and ls -F gives you the
identifying characters at the end of the command.

IMO, it's a very dangerous practice to alias real command names to
some action which is not their normal behavior.

>It's only when you do things differently that you learn;
>otherwise, it might as well be an alias.  Lastly,

Well, yes and no.  If you prefer to always see the file type
characters at the end of a filename and you alias ls to be ls -F,
then when you move to another system where that alias doesn't exist,
and you get output completely different than what you expect, you may
either waste your time trying to remember what all your aliases are,
or, you may now need to clean up a mess you shouldn't have because of
default behavior you've forgotten about and therefore didn't expect.
This leads to the premise that you also learn even when you always do
things exactly the same all the time.  It's just completely
unexpected and probably surprising learning :)

(Note. Obviously aliasing ls to ls -F won't cause you major system
damage.  It's just an example.  Dangerous things to alias are things
like rm, cp, and mv.  Though tar, find, and many others can be
problematic too.  And I've already demonstrated how aliasing ls to
something else can be problematic for command-line shell scripts.)

>alias files from more learned users are frequently handy ways of
>showing newbies how things are done.

Hmmmm, true, but more often than not alias files, and .[a-z,ba]shrc
files, etc. are usually a very bad thing to be handing on from one
person to another.  People in general never comment them, and what
you end up with are people who now don't know how or why something
works the way it does, and when something on the system changes, they
haven't the slightest idea why what always worked before is now
broken.

Case in point, I couldn't get Xv4 working on my system last week
exactly because I copied someone elses config file without really
understanding what it was doing.  I, of all people, should have known
better!  I finally got X working again with my flat panel and all it
took was about 1 solid hour of futzing with modelines and such until
it worked.  Most people don't want to spend that much time figuring
out how a config file works.  Which is why I hate aliases.  They tend
to lead to people who don't have a clue as to how the tools they need
to use to get their jobs done work.  You wouldn't catch a carpenter
who didn't know all the ins and outs of his skill or miter saw (and
if you did, he probably has a few less than 10 fingers :)  Yet people
in high-tech seem to think they can get away without learning how
their OS works.  No wonder MS is where they are!

In general though, the Linux crowd does seem a lot better than the
averagee Unix user I've dealt with over the years.  Since it's
predominately made up of people using Linux on their own at home,
they've had little choice but to figure things out on their own.
However, once Linux makes it's way deeper into the corporate world, I
fully expect to see more of what I've previously been exposed to :(