Tom,
If you're looking for something in the cheaper category, I bought a Pacific
Digital CD Rewritable kit at Staples. It's nothing fancy, it's a
74-minute-drive, can't read DVD, but I really only needed it for backup
purposes. I can't recall the exact price, but it was pretty cheap. You'll
have to load scsi-ide emulation in the kernel, since the cdburner progs
handle all cdwriters as scsi, and this is an ide drive.
The whole installation of the drive, and figuring out how to write a cd (new
kernel, apt-get install xcdroast) took an hour. From now on, my cd is
/dev/scd0 (because it's emulated scsi).

--Ferenc