Benjamin Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked:

>>> Have you tried a kernel that works? I have seen similar weird problems
>>> trying to install 2.4-based distros at home, which promptly disappeared
>>> when I switched back to 2.2.

No, I'd long since upgraded my entire infrastructure to support 2.4, and
I suppose I could build a 2.2 kernel, but have never tried running one on
a system that expects a 2.4 kernel. (I.e., all the stuff documented in
the CHANGES file, e.g. http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/doc/Changes.html).

As I said, my current gameplan is to build a new box from the table-up,
but with a TekRam board, or get myself a Qlogic board that I can pop in
my current system and see if I can add the Plextor on a SCSI bus of its
own (which might not be a bad idea anyway, for performance enhancement).

There was a discussion on the LKML a few weeks ago about issues with other
SCSI devices, which highlighted some of these seemingly Adaptec-specific
quirks. Hence, my shopping list for the new system included a TekRam
SCSI board, rather than Adaptec.

Thanks,

Bayard

Bayard R. Coolidge      N1HO    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are
Compaq Computer Corp.           solely those of the author, and not
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA      those of Compaq Computer Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (DEC '77-'98)              or any other entity.
"Brake for Moose - It could save your life" - N.H. Fish & Game Dept.