Well, FWIW, I built a 2.2.21-pre2 kernel, and was unable to boot it
with the Plextor SCSI CDRW drive on the bus.

The P2L97DS/Adaptec BIOS does see it, and depending on whether I
enable LUNs in the Adaptec BIOS, I get slightly differing results.
However, I also noticed that the Adaptec driver is 6.2.something,
and is therefore basically the same <thing> that's in the 2.4/2.5
kernels. It is an SMP box (dual P-II's at 333MHz), and I do have
the APIC stuff enabled (thanks, Kenny), and it's still barfing.

My suspicion is that LUN 1 is raising the ATN bit and the driver
can't cope with it, and no amount of SCSI bus resets clears it and
therefore the driver loops, resetting the bus and getting nowhere.

I'm not able to download the new firmware under SCU (the SCSI
Configuration Utility) available under Tru64 and Linux (the latter
if-and-only-if you've compiled in the sg* driver), so it appears
that I'll have to plop in a spare spindle, and dust off my Neolithic
Technology CD and pay brief homage to the Evil Empire and pump new
firmware into it that way. Hopefully, it won't take too long and I
can get it done before I have to defragment the disk.

Thanks for the help, pointers, and suggestions. I'll let y'all know
how things turned out!

Cheers,

Bayard
Bayard R. Coolidge      N1HO    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are
Compaq Computer Corp.           solely those of the author, and not
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA      those of Compaq Computer Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (DEC '77-'98)              or any other entity.
"Brake for Moose - It could save your life" - N.H. Fish & Game Dept.